The Department of Radiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is pleased to announce a magnetic resonance training curriculum for physicians and technologists.
CMR Northwestern is intended for physicians and technologists who currently have a basic proficiency in MR and/or knowledge of Cardiac MR, who wish to leverage the capabilities of their MR systems. A prerequisite for the course is knowledge of basic MR physics. It is optimal if both physician and technologist attend the course together, however, this is not mandatory.
The program incorporates didactic instruction with practical, hands-on scanning both in a simulation environment and at the scanner console. Cardiovascular imaging basics will be presented, including CMR imaging physics and protocols. Clinical applications will be emphasized through lectures reviewing cardiovascular pathology. Thirty mentored clinical cases will be presented. Participants will spend time at the imaging console with volunteers at 1.5T and 3.0T cardiovascular magnets. In addition, participants will study structural and functional cardiac MR evaluations utilizing current MR case specific applications, exploring cardiac morphology and function. Download CMR Northwestern 2017 flyer.
- Review the indications of, contraindications to, and potential side effects of CMR.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge in technical aspects of the CMR examination.
- Describe the basic principles of MR angiography and their application.
- Recognize and minimize important image artifacts.
- Apply image post-processing techniques.
- Correlate CMR with other imaging modalities (echocardiography, nuclear cardiology, CCT, and interventional angiography) as well as with medical history, physical examination, laboratory, and hemodynamic data.
- Recognize cardiac and vascular pathology (ischemia, infarction, valve disease, infiltrative disorders, congenital anomalies) on an MRI examination.
Although there are no formal prerequisites for attending Northwestern CMR, a basic understanding of MR and MR physics are required. At Northwestern we also offer TECH SMaRT, a course that admits technologist applicants who have demonstrated a strong background in MRI physics and data acquisition as well as significant experience with the Siemens Syngo software platform. Tech Smart focuses more on the practical and technical challenges of CMR and provides didactic instruction, combined with hands on and observational experiences in a small group on only 2-3 attendees. TECH SMarT is approved for 31.75 category A credit hours. More about TECH SMaRT
To register for the course and pay by check, please print, complete, and fax or mail the registration form to the address indicated on the form. Make checks payable to Northwestern University. If payment is not received within three weeks of receiving the registration form, your registration may be cancelled.
If you prefer to register for the course and pay by check, please print, complete, and fax or mail the registration form to the address indicated on the form. Make checks payable to Northwestern University. If payment is not received within three weeks of receiving the registration form, your registration may be cancelled.
The registration fee includes:
- Course materials
- Didactic lectures
- Hands-on MR scanning sessions
- Breakfast, lunch, and assortment of drinks, including coffee during the course
- A dinner with course participants and faculty at a restaurant near the Northwestern University campus in downtown Chicago.
- Participants are responsible for their own travel, lodging, and meal expenses outside of those listed above.
Dates, Times, and Locations
This course will take place on on March 22-24, 2017 at the:
Northwestern University Chicago Campus
737 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1600
Chicago IL, 60611
The following hotels offer special rates for Northwestern guests. Please call the hotel’s for reservationsdirectly and ask for the “Northwestern University” rate:
The Allerton Hotel, 701 North Michigan Avenue (312-440-1500)
• $149 Standard Room (1 Queen bed)
• $169 Standard Double (2 Full beds)
• $169 Executive King Suite (1 King bed + Love seat)
Doubletree Hotel, 300 East Ohio Street (312-224-2127)
•$189 Single or Double
•Lake View Deluxe Room: +$20 additional per room
•PURAir Allergy Free Room: +$20 additional per room
MileNorth Hotel (formerly Affinia Hotel), 166 East Superior Street (312-787-6000)
• $184 Standard-King/Queen/Double
• $224 Suite
Omni Hotel, 676 North Michigan Avenue (312-944-6664)
•$220 Deluxe Room Single/Double Occupancy
•$240 Premium Room
•$245 Corner King Room
Peninsula Hotel, 108 East Superior Street (Reservations: 866-288-8889)
• $335 Deluxe King
• $440 Grand Deluxe King
• $585 One BR Executive Suite
Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile, 633 North St. Clair Street (312-274-4438)
• $215 Standard King or Double
• $265 Corner King
• $315 Executive Suite
The registration fee, less a $50 administrative fee, is refundable if a written (via email, fax or mail) cancellation request is received thirty days prior to the course date. Please include your tax ID or social security number if requesting a refund. No refunds will be issued if notice is given less than 30 days prior to the course date; however, you may transfer your registration to a colleague.
For more information contact Julie Blaisdell via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: (312)695-2956.
Download CMR Northwestern 2017 flyer
Department of Radiology
737 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1600
Chicago, Illinois 60611